Orthodontic braces can help improve your overall oral health. However, maintaining your braces is not an easy task. During your orthodontic braces treatment, it is essential that you take proper care of your oral hygiene to keep your brackets, wires and other orthodontic accessories clean.
Taking good care of braces can be challenging. Braces have many tiny spaces that can easily trap food debris if you don’t take proper care of your dental hygiene right after eating. The trapped food residue can result in dental plaque, tooth cavities, gingivitis or other serious dental problems.
Learning basic orthodontic care can help you maintain your oral health and your braces. Here at Unionville Orthodontics, we will help you keep your oral cavity healthy while wearing braces.
Guidelines for keeping your Oral Cavity Healthy while wearing Braces:
– Brush your teeth after every meal or at least twice a day. Before you brush your teeth with braces, you must remove the elastic bands and other removable parts of your braces.
– Clean your braces by holding your brush at a 45-degree angle so you can easily clean around the wires and posts of your braces. Gently brush your teeth with braces from top to bottom to ensure that you remove all the trapped food residues around your braces.
– Floss at least once a day. You may use a floss threader, which is specially designed for people with braces.
– Rinse thoroughly with water after brushing and flossing, then look at your braces and teeth in the mirror to check if there is any food residue left.
– Eat healthy and well-balanced meals. Avoid sugary, starchy and acidic food that can cause plaque to build up in your mouth and on your braces.
– Consult your Orthodontist if you have any issues like loose wires from your braces. It is also important to visit your orthodontist regularly to make sure your braces are adjusted promptly.
If you have any questions regarding maintaining oral health with braces, contact our orthodontic office in Markham.
-The Unionville Orthodontics Team