If you want to know how to clean your removable retainers, then you’ve come to the place! Here at Unionville Orthodontics, we make sure that our patients know how to keep their retainers clean. Here’s a step by step guide that you can follow in cleaning your removable orthodontic retainers.
– Rinse your retainer as soon as you remove it from your mouth. You can use warm or cool water for rinsing. Cleaning your retainer immediately after removal makes it easier to remove debris before it hardens.
– Soak your retainer in water with a cleaning solution (your dentist can prescribe you a retainer cleaner solution). Let it sit for five minutes.
– Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and lukewarm water to scrub your retainer after each meal. You can brush your teeth at this time as well.
– Make sure to clean all the smallest crevices in your retainer. You can use a cotton swab to clean the deepest ridges of your retainer.
– Rinse your retainer again before putting it back in your mouth.
If you notice a residue that won’t come off from your retainer even after brushing and cleaning, consult your orthodontist about it. If you have more questions on your orthodontic cleaning retainers, contact or visit our orthodontic office in Markham.
-The Unionville Orthodontics Team