Kids love Valentine’s Day! But for little ones wearing braces, not being able to chow down on their favourite candy and sweets can be a struggle. Fortunately, there are lots of fun ways to still have a memorable love-filled day without putting their orthodontic appliances and teeth in danger. Check out these tips to make sure your child has a wonderful, braces-friendly V-Day this year.
Part of what makes Valentine’s Day so special for children is that they get to eat delicious treats. Instead of buying them chewy chocolates or hard candies that are difficult to remove from the crevices of their teeth or could unexpectedly break their brackets, surprise them with festive yet healthy alternatives at meal-time, such as:
- Heart-shaped pizza, sandwiches, or pancakes.
- Fruit kabobs with heart-shaped watermelon and pineapple slices
- Strawberries and whipped cream or chocolate dipping sauce
Non-Edible Gift Ideas
Making your little one feel loved and appreciated on Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be complicated. Sometimes giving them a small, thoughtful gift is the key to letting them know how much you adore them without putting them at risk of developing cavities. If you’re looking to forego the sweets altogether, try one of these ideas instead:
- A love-themed word search, puzzle, or Mad Lib game
- Bubbles, chalk, or colourful bath bombs
- Books, art supplies, or play doh
Replace Treats With Memories
Even better than giving sweets or gifts is planning something fun for you and your child to do together. Plan an activity that you know you’ll both enjoy and let the bonding begin! Some fun activities could include:
- Making a craft together, such as a scrapbook
- Spending the afternoon at the park or exploring around your neighborhood
- Trying a new activity, such as bowling or an Escape Room
However you choose to celebrate with your child, be sure to keep it fun and braces-friendly. Remind them to rinse their mouth with water after eating sweets and brush particularly well before bed. For more tips on how to support your little one with braces or to book their next appointment, contact the friendly team at Unionville Orthodontics today. We look forward to seeing you both at our convenient office location in Markham, ON.
-The Unionville Orthodontics Team